• This forum is currently in Read-Only mode and will not accept new threads, posts or responses.

To Sign Up for the New Forum, click here: https://www.cco.us/cco-forum/

MTA course- What is included? Recommendations for any other books and courses?

SharpenedPencil

Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
MTA Student
I've enjoyed the Coding Blitz and the E/M courses from CCO. Has anyon taken the MTA course? What is included besides the book? It is a little bit unclear if there are videos with this class or not.

I'm not looking for a basic course, having already taken courses in medical terminology and anatomy. My previous courses used a book called Medical Language (Turley)- pretty standard for most community colleges.

I am looking for a different teaching style than what I've already experienced and I have really liked the courses I've already taken at CCO so far. Some of the little memory rhymes that Laureen uses in her webinars and courses are fun and memorable. Does the MTA course have a lot of that?

Are there any other books or courses than anyone can recommend which cover medical terminology and anatomy & physiology?

Luna

Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
I just completed the MTA course. I really liked it.

There are videos for every chapter. I usually read through a chapter and did the textbook exercises. Then I would watch the Laureen video and make any additional notes or tips I picked up on. Yes, in these videos too she shares little memory aids or personal stories about she has been able to remember something. The MTA forum also has posts of tips other students have to help with A&P terminology.

There are also extra PDF handout exercises for each chapter. I loved having those as well. Anything to help drill the material into my brain.

The MTA student area also has flashcards, and matching terms to definitions. They ranged from anatomy & physiology terms, to pathology and procedures. You will find a few glitched ones but over all very good.

Also included is an online link to terminology activities. (This link is available with just the book as well but can be accessed from the MTA student area too.) I especially liked the chapter quizzes, and labeling activities provided at this link. There are a few other fun activities too like Term Building, Wack-a-Word, Tournament of Terminology. There's one that is like playing Who Wants To Be a Millionaire. I found the accompanying music annoying and so I muted it, but doing the activities really does help.

Each chapter has an exam you take in the student area and submit. You have an hour to complete the exam. It does have a feature that allows you to pause the test and come back to finish it. The tests are 50 questions each. I completed most of my tests between 30 and 40 min. so an hour is a good time.

I hope that helps you some.

Carolyn Heath

Blitzer
CCO Club Member
CCO Practicoder
That is very helpful, Luna. I am getting ready to take the MTA soon as I need a refresher course in MTA and I already have the book that Laureen uses.

Michele

CPC
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
Great info Luna, thank you! I'm interested in taking the MTA course and was wondering about it as well.